Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Step 1: References

When I first started to search on the internet for monorail models, it quickly became clear that I had my work cut out for me. I first started to search for 3d models that I could use to create a 3d print from. I knew even if I could not directly use the model to print, I would be able to use it as guide to create my own model. The first place I looked was to the video game model train community, after seemingly millions of broken links, I hit pay-dirt and found files from "Trainz" dated 12/13/2002.

Trainz .pm model
I could barely contain my excitement... until I searched for a way to open the ".pm" file that looked like it contained the model. Turns out these models are contained as special meshes that can't be imported back to editing software. With that unfortunate revelation, I continued my search to see if anybody had any 3d models available for sale. I found one at $119 but after already spending $438 on this project (find out about what I got next week!), I could not justify another $119 for a model that I would have to spend hours and hours with modifying before it was printable.

After my time sent looking for a suitable model, I decided my best bet was to model something myself. While most would choose blender or 3ds max, I have only had experience with Autodesk Inventor. My weapon of choice is used mainly for modeling functional plastic or metal parts for production, and seemed suitable for the job of creating a functional model.

Then came the search for reference images. Something else that is sparse. The monorail society was a great starting point and gave me the blueprints for the front, side and top view of the monorail cab, the most difficult portion of the model.

Lined up and ready to model
Next will be the arduous task of making everything look right.

No comments:

Post a Comment